Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default snow removal methods

Karl Townsend wrote:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 12:35:36 -0600, Ignoramus17662
wrote:

A related question, has anyone ever tried to build something for ice
removal?

I guess it depends on your budget. I may just have the best unit of
anyone one this NG: (you need it if you're dumb enough to live in MN)

JD 5310N tractor, That's a 60 hp compact tractor with a shuttle
transmission and cab. Tire chains installed for extra traction.

Loftness 2 stage snowblower, 8 feet wide. IMHO, the best 3 point
blower made. I added an electric spout turner.

JD hydraulic loader.

Blowing snow is *almost* fun.

Karl

I would suggest that is one were searching for a machine for snow and
ice removal and didn't have a need for a tractor for other tasks, a
Bobcat / skid steer with quick attach extra wide snow bucket and quick
attach hydraulic powered snow blower it a better match for the task.

3pt snow blowers on a tractor have you driving backwards all the time,
which is tedious and also makes it difficult to precisely follow a curb
or similar. Skid steers are more compact and maneuverable than a tractor
with attachments on both ends, so they are a lot easier to use in tight
areas. Skid steers are also normally higher HP than a similarly sized
tractor, and can lift larger snow buckets than a tractor loader.