Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default A set of small HVAC questions

mm wrote:

In all the installations I've seen - and admittedly not that many -
the secondary drain is used as a fail-safe in case the first drain
becomes clogged (it almost always will). This second drain is
connected to a pan located UNDER the base unit. When the first drain
becomes clogged, condensate will overflow to the second pan and
drain to somewhere it can be seen, often to the house's soffit.

Now that you mention it, I have seen that, at my brother's old house I
bet.

Of course my furnace is in the basement. The AC condensate just ran
through the pvc to the sump for years, but for a year or two, the few
days I used it, it dribbled out the bottom of the furnace. One of
those times, the water heater started to leak but I thought the other
water just hadn't dried yet!

Ah! Okay. Put a big pan under the whole installation and equip it with a
water alarm (less than $25).

5) A cased evaporator is listed as having a "High-quality post-paint
cabinet". What does post-paint mean? Googling didn't help.

Sounds like mumbo-jumbo. On its face it says the cabinet went on
after the paint.

Yeah, it does.

Call 'em and ask; the rest of us would like to know too.

What are the odds I could find someone who knows! Very small.

No, the telephone operator might very well be the one who coined the phrase.
Or the receptionist. Or the janitor.