Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Boris Mohar[_3_] Boris Mohar[_3_] is offline

Default Is it possible to repair a whole house surge suppressor?

Leviton. Ground it well with as short ground wire as possible to good house
ground.

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 11:03:05 -0500, mm wrote:

Is it possible to repair a whole house surge suppressor?

At 100 to 200 dollars, I don't want to keep buying new ones.

I was going to install a whole house surge suppressor. When one of
them does its function, I think the MOV burns out, or some part does.

I haven't seen anything on the web about replacement modules for even
those units that might have them.

Will I be able to find, buy, and solder in replacement MOVs after the
first one burns out? (the green led goes out and the red led goes on)

I can't find any info about plug-in replacement parts, so if I can
repair any unit myself, I won't have to shop so thoroughly.

Items for sale, if interested:
I can install it myself. I'm considering, in ascending price order:
http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-IG1...sbs_00_01_t_lh
http://www.amazon.com/INTERMATIC-IG3...sbs_00_02_t_lh
http://www.smarthome.com/4860/Levito...otector/p.aspx

and less likely (plus two are required, one for each leg)
http://www.amazon.com/Square-D-SDSA1.../dp/B002GUZ1NI

--
Boris