Posted to alt.home.repair

Default More on my well pump

On Jan 30, 9:10*pm, Tony Miklos wrote:
After being shown how a check valve can break and stick up preventing
water flow the proper direction, I was sort of 2nd guessing the
replacement of my pump. *I asked them if they powered it up after
getting it out, no they didn't. *Then I started thinking, they did
replace 1 check valve. *I wondered could that have been the real
problem? *Did I really need a new pump? *I separated the two halves of
the pump and powered up the motor. *It ran, but it spitted and sputtered
going off and on. *I shook the pump half, it rattled a lot. *I put them
together again and powered it up. *The pump made a hell of a lot of
noise and the motor still sputtered.

Now I feel comfortable that I definitely needed a new pump. *I'm glad I
told them to leave it here for me to dissect it.

I always ask for the old parts, whenver I have work done. But, that
is quite infrequent as I am an inveterate diy'er.