Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default OT Searching Usenet

On 1/30/2011 5:31 PM, Tegger wrote:
wrote in
:

On 1/30/2011 2:24 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
I was watching a documentary called "Download: The True Story of the
Internet:" One of the shows is about search, and Google has made
quite a few dollars by showing ads on their search page. It seems
that people are willing to pay big bucks for ads.

I just wonder how may advertisers are unhappy since Google search has
ruined Usenet searches. As I have quit using Google to search Usenet,
my hits have dropped significantly. I can only hope that the hits
drop so low as to cause Google to go back to being useful.

Google has changed from enormously valuable search tool to a useless
piece of crap.

Agreed. But is there anything else out there that has a Usenet archive?
I, too, miss being able to find ancient old posts.

Serious question, BTW.

You still can find all old and new Usenet posts on Google. Google owns what
used to be Deja News' Usenet archive.

On the Google home page, click the word "More" at upper left. From the
resulting drop-down menu, click "Groups".

Once on the "Groups" page, click "Advanced Groups Search" at upper-right.

At that point, you get an approximation of the old Deja News search page.

After your searh results are presented to you, change the radio button
below the text-box to "Google Groups" from the default "All Groups". This
gets rid of the Web results, and limits the seach to Usenet. Each time you
run a search, you need to change that radio button; it does not stay where
you put it.

My point of distaste with Google is how they deliberately misdirect people
by pretending that Usenet is Google.

I understand the menus- I think their algorithm is broken. It no longer
finds posts I know I made years ago, so I must assume there are similar
holes when I search for other authors.

Their NEWS search is broken even worse.

--
aem sends...