Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

Default Laptop not charging.

T i m wrote in news:3jv7k654r4j25nunqb0dgnfsurhqkev45i@
4ax.com:

Hi all,

I have asked elsewhere but I think this may be more an electronics
than computer question as such so:

A couple of years ago daughter b/f bought a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop
and it has been running ok till just recently when his Mum caught the
power lead somehow.

From then on it still runs ok from the power adaptor / PSU but it
doesn't seem to want to charge the battery. What could be part of the
same issue is it now flashes the front power indicator with what looks
like 4 fast amber flashes and one longer white.

Going into the BIOS tells us that it thinks the battery is there and
'healthy' but is not charging and at 0%.

We tried another battery and psu from a different 1545 (that had a
broken DC socket) but that didn't change anything.

Yesterday, thinking it /could/ be a socket and where the tiny inner /
3rd pin connects (thinking it might be a 'sense' wire and a socket was
cheap etc) I changed it for him but again, no improvement.

I think it still runs from the battery but of course it's now flat
(coincidentally a mate is considering getting a Dell 1545 so we might
be able to do some tests g).

So, is there anything else we could do to try to work out what's going
on here please? I still have some test gear from my 'daze' as a
support tech (DMMs, scope, fc, bench PSU etc).

Cheers, T i m

The laptop 'talks' to the power supply over the central lead (there is a
small computer IN the supply or a resistor that tells the computer the
wattage of the supply).
If that center lead is broken, the computer can run from the supply but
will not allow the battery to charge.

The flashing power indicator usually indicates a failing or failed battery
pack.

I have fixed many 'bad' supplies by cutting the 'broken' spot out of the
cord.
It is usually where the cord gets the most flexing.

finding it, cutting and splicing the cord to fix it can be challenging.

I usually cut a few inches from the power plug and check with an ohm meter.
If I was lucky, that is the end and some work with a razor knife, soldering
iron and hot glue and you are back working.
If it is at the power brick end, you will probably have to crack the brick
open with a screwdriver and solder the cord into the brick.

Sometimes, I end up with repairs at both ends and a cord that is much
shorter, in between.

Hint for all laptop supply users:
NEVER NEVER NEVER wrap the cord tightly around the supply, bending it
sharply near where it exits the supply.
Coil it loosely and let it look messy.

NEVER NEVE NEVER put a aharp bend in the cord near the plug nor near the
brick.