Posted to sci.electronics.repair
T i m T i m is offline

Default Laptop not charging.

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 19:30:28 +0000, Baron
wrote:

T i m Inscribed thus:

Yesterday, thinking it /could/ be a socket and where the tiny inner /
3rd pin connects (thinking it might be a 'sense' wire and a socket was
cheap etc) I changed it for him but again, no improvement.

That third wire the centre pin, is a one wire data interface !

Ah.

The idea
is to prevent you from using a charger that is/was not supplied by the
manufacturer.

So this is how it 'knows' it's a 65W or 90W charger and that a genuine
one is present etc?

Its quite possible that since the laptop works happily
from the charger, that the communications inside the laptop charging
circuits has been damaged.

I guess anything is possible with that level of 'intelligence. ;-(
The charger board and the mainboard come as
a pair. A salvaged charger board will not work with a different
mainboard.

Great (not). ;-(

HTH

It has (thanks), in so far as we needn't waste any money on just a
charger board.

So, unless we can pick up a working system / charger board pair we
have a mains only laptop. ;-(

Cheers, T i m