Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Broke a bolt

On Jan 30, 3:01*pm, John wrote:
wrote:
On Jan 29, 11:45 pm, *wrote:

I've heard of crevice corrosion and stress corrosion cracking, but
the third one, chloride stress corrosion cracking, I had not heard
of before. *Interesting.. but I doubt we have had that kind of environment
onboard the boat. *At least I hope not!

Well, whatever it was, that screw mess it up for the whole bunch.
They ALL are getting pulled and replaced!

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

Stainless does okay in fresh salt water, but not in stagnant salt
water. *The stagnant salt water does not have oxygen which is
essential to keep the stainless with an oxide layer. *I am no expert
but you might consider Monel bolts.

Dan

Absolutely true. *the process is called passivating and can occur only
* with the presence of oxygen. * Monel sounds good, but its gets
expensive. but anyone with a big boat must have a lot of money *

John- Hide quoted text -

Are bronze fasteners available? I know monel is nasty stuff to work,
but bronzes usually aren't.

Stan