Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I love the smell of napalm at Home Depot

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 12:42:56 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Jan 30, 11:39*am, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 11:34:55 -0600, Ignoramus17662

wrote:
I was at Home Depot and saw that they sell "gelled fuel" now. This
fuel is almost like napalm in properties, except that the burning
agent is alcohol and not benzene. It was on sale and I bought a couple
of bottles to experiment.

Is it just large bottles of sterno, Ig? *I don't find it listed at my
local Borg store.

OMG, denatured alcohol is up to $15.29 a gallon now! *thud

Sterno uses a different gelling agent.

OK.

I think the disinfecting stuff
uses some form of soap. Dollar store for cheap bottles of that.

Dollar stores sell 50% iso while everyone else sells 70% and 90%. It
all works well for removing latex paint and cleaning skin, but I buy
the more pure denatured stuff for making shellac and cleaning woodwork
prior to finishing.

And
all solvents are in a dizzying spiral up. I used to pay less than $5
for a gallon of acetone, less than a buck for the cheap mineral
spirits. Cheapest place now for solvents is one of the local Ace
hardwares, believe it or not.

I'll have to check that out the next time I'm in one. Danke.

--
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile,
hoping it will eat him last.