Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
mick[_2_] mick[_2_] is offline

Default O T:- I have lost my hard drive

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 16:01:29 +0000, the_constructor wrote:

I have been building a computer up from parts donated.

I have put in an 80Gb hard drive which is split into 2 x 40Gb (or
thereabouts). I used fdisk on another machine to create the 2 sections.
The first I created was 40Gb for drive C which I then made active. I
then used the rest of the drive as drive D logical drive.

Having put it into the computer and installed Windows XP everything was
working fine. I formatted drive D within Windows and all was well.

I installed yet another 20Gb drive just for my personal files area. upon
booting up, Windows XP recognised that the new drive was there and said
it was installed and ready for use. I could even see it in Device
Manager.

The problem is, the 20Gb drive does not show up in Windows Explorer, so
the question is, "Where has my drive gone".

Are you sure that both drives have their master/slave settings right?
Have a look at the bios screen to see how they are. Windows can have some
strange rules when it gets to issuing drive letters.

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info