Posted to uk.d-i-y
cynic cynic is offline

Default change from oil to Gas combi or stored water

On Jan 30, 2:40*pm, curious wrote:
I am thinking of changing from a warmflow bluebird oil boiler to gas but
don't know whether to go for a combi gas boiler or stay with my current
setup of stored hot and cold water. We had a water cut of 3 days in the new
year and stored water was a blessing so what are the main advantages of a
combi. Gas heating is still in the minority in Northern Ireland at the
moment but catchingup.

Question 1 - Why do you want to move away from oil which is a fuel
which can be easily shopped around for and if bought in summer is
invariably cheaper

Apart from our resident lunatic who simply parrots adverts he has
read, most logical thinking people realise that a store of water gives
you some security of supply if the mains goes off. If the storage tank
is high enough you can operate a quite satisfactory shower and have
the benefit of being able to fill a bath very quickly. If an immersin
heater is fitted you also have an emergency heat alternative in the
event of a failure of the primary heat source and you can (with a
suitable cylinder or additional indirect coil) utilise solar heat for
hot water contribution. There is even a feed in payment for hot water
systems available now subject to meeting certain requirements.