Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Why are bath/shower valves mounted low?

On 1/30/2011 12:03 PM, Bill wrote:
Why are bath/shower valves mounted so low?

Perhaps because this was first done with clawfoot bathtubs (no wall to
mount to) and they have done it that way ever since?

Seems to me you are always turning the water on/off from a standing
position for either a bath or a shower.... So now that we mount these in
walls, the valves should be mounted higher! Then no need to bend down to
reach the valves.

So I think I will install my new bath/shower valves up higher. Perhaps
as high up as someone could also reach it if taking a bath and wanted to
add more water.

(And of course I will also install the shower head WAY up so it will be
above my head instead of sticking in my nose!)

I'll chime in on your rant- mount the soap dishes up higher as well, and
under the shower head, instead of down low in the middle of the long
wall where they catch the shower spray and the soap melts in a week.

I think you called it on how we got that way- combo tub-shower setups
were not that common until skirted tubs came along, and 'that is the way
we have always done it'. And any dual-use item is a design compromise.
When I hit the lotto and build my dream house, there will be a soaking
tub for once-a-year use and resale value, and a solid-surface walk-in
shower for daily use, with a showerhead tall enough that I don't have to
bend to rinse my hair. And the bathroom will have a floor drain and hose
bib in a discreet location, for easy cleanups. (I'm a guy, living alone,
so it only gets cleaned when it gets disgusting enough to trigger my low
standards.)

--
aem sends...