Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mkirsch1@rochester.rr.com is offline

Default P-trap slip joint still leaking

On Jan 29, 6:25*pm, aemeijers wrote:
I'm hearing some faint bells go off here. I had a similar leak until I
(a) pointed the damn washer in the other direction and (b) went out and
bought a metal nut, rather than the plastic one that came with the trap,
to hold the tailpiece into the metal pipe coming out of the wall. Not
sure if that applies to OP's situation, but unless he already threw out
the old parts, it doesn't cost anything to try.

I think I finally got it. Running the dishwasher right now, and no
drips!

It took FIVE different nuts and washers to find one that would seal
up. The one that finally worked was from Lowes, a metal nut with a
super-soft orange washer.

I tried the plastic nut with plastic washer from the kit, metal nuts
with tapered rubber washers in each direction, metal nut with square
rubber washer... all leaked.