Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Is it possible to repair a whole house surge suppressor?

mm wrote:
Is it possible to repair a whole house surge suppressor?

At 100 to 200 dollars, I don't want to keep buying new ones.

It is an engineered device with internal protection matched to the MOVs.
I would never repair one.

I was going to install a whole house surge suppressor. When one of
them does its function, I think the MOV burns out, or some part does.

Surge hits to a MOV deteriorate it. With high ratings a suppressor will
last a very long time. The worst case surge on a service power line to
your house that has any reasonable chance of occurring is 10,000A.
Suppressors with much higher ratings are readily available.

For a house, the IEEE recommends ratings of 20,000 to 70,000A _per
wire_. For high lightning areas the recommendation is 40,000 to 120,000A
_per wire_.

I haven't seen anything on the web about replacement modules for even
those units that might have them.

Will I be able to find, buy, and solder in replacement MOVs after the
first one burns out? (the green led goes out and the red led goes on)

I can't find any info about plug-in replacement parts, so if I can
repair any unit myself, I won't have to shop so thoroughly.

Make sure your fire insurance covers the suppressor you engineered.

Items for sale, if interested:
I can install it myself. I'm considering, in ascending price order:
http://www.amazon.com/Intermatic-IG1...sbs_00_01_t_lh

This has minimal information and no ratings. Didn't look at the two below.

http://www.amazon.com/INTERMATIC-IG3...sbs_00_02_t_lh
http://www.smarthome.com/4860/Levito...otector/p.aspx

and less likely (plus two are required, one for each leg)
http://www.amazon.com/Square-D-SDSA1.../dp/B002GUZ1NI

Also has minimal information and no ratings. If it only protects one
wire don't get it - get one made for a service protecting both wires. I
do like SquareD as a brand.

--
bud--