Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default Is it possible to repair a whole house surge suppressor?

mm wrote:
Is it possible to repair a whole house surge suppressor?

At 100 to 200 dollars, I don't want to keep buying new ones.

Stop buying junk. MOV surge protectors are really worthless junk. Here in
230v land, when they go, they often do so with a bang and sometimes catch
fire.

Look at TransTector ones. They use silicon avalance diodes which when compared
to MOVs are indestructable. They are more expensive but in the long run cheaper
as they don't fail like MOV ones.

You might also want to learn about how lightening works and how to avoid it.

Contrary to what people believe (yes Franklin got it wrong) lightening flows
from the GROUND UP. Once a path is opened from the ground, the polarity
reverses and the usual flash you see flows downward.

If you place grounded sharp pointed objects on top of buildings, you will
CREATE lightening.

If you place large "fuzzy" grounded objects on top of buildings, you will
dissipate any charges that build up and reduce the chance of lightening
strikes.

I got rid of a lightening problem by placing a large 2m ham band (144mHz)
antenna on my roof. It was a 12 foot beam with 10 vertical elements and
10 horizontal elements. At 144mHz it was an antenna, at DC (lightening)
it was just a big blob of aluminum connected to ground. So as charges
started to build up, they were dissipated.

When I moved, I took down the antenna, I wonder what my neighbors thought
when the lightening returned. :-(

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.