Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Broke a bolt

On Jan 29, 11:45*pm, CaveLamb wrote:

I've heard of crevice corrosion and stress corrosion cracking, but
the third one, chloride stress corrosion cracking, I had not heard
of before. *Interesting.. but I doubt we have had that kind of environment
onboard the boat. *At least I hope not!

Well, whatever it was, that screw mess it up for the whole bunch.
They ALL are getting pulled and replaced!

--

Richard Lamb
email me:

Stainless does okay in fresh salt water, but not in stagnant salt
water. The stagnant salt water does not have oxygen which is
essential to keep the stainless with an oxide layer. I am no expert
but you might consider Monel bolts.

Dan