Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default DTV sound synch

On 1/29/2011 12:51 PM Meat Plow spake thus:

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 11:22:19 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Judging by the behavior of my system (set-top DTV box, Zenith DTT901),
I'd say that the audio is simply sacrificed for the sake of displaying
video. When there's a marginal signal coming in, the video will continue
to be displayed, albeit with some break-up and possible freezing, while
the audio simply drops out.

Newest Sci-Atlanta DTVHD-DVR, TWC here. Don't notice a lot of sync
problems. Being a musician I would notice even a few milliseconds.

OK, but how about other channels? The out-of-synch problem seems to be
the worst on a local public station that runs a mish-mosh of programming
with *extremely* low standards for any kind of production values, but
I've noticed it even on network stations (NBC, ABC, etc.) where even
speech doesn't match the speaker's lips.

More problems with picture fizzle-out accompanied by audio drops and buzz
on HD channels. Signal tested recently. Found to be high-normal in the HD
range. Nothing to bitch about except when Discovery-HD fizzed and buzzed
every 10 seconds. A new DVR fixed that.

Oddly enough, I've never experienced *any* of those problems with DTV.
Just audio drop-out, but no buzz, hum, distortion, etc.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.