Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Brick wall specification

A friend is looking to get a garden wall built. It will be brick,
2m high, about 5m long. It will join a larger garden brick wall at
one end, and the other end will just come to a stop (meets flimsy
fence panels which are already falling over).

Having done some brick laying, I've been asked what sort of spec
is needed, so they can quiz the bricklayer and see if he says
something similar, or if he hasn't got a clue what he's doing.
Unfortunately, my friend has a history of using tradesmen who
haven't got a clue what they're doing, even though they came
highly recommended.

However, this spec wall is well beyond anything I've designed, so
I'm hoping for some guidance here.

I'm guessing it could be a half brick wall (or possibly not),
a one brick wall, or a one-and-a-half brick wall.
What sort of size/spacing of piers would be required in each case?
Also what sort of size foundations?
I presume there are some rules of thumb, or even standard tables
available to give some guidance here?

I have in mind to ask about the brick spec (I know about frost
resistance and absorbancy ratings), and capping.

Also, how long would it take to build such a wall (one person),
and any rough idea on price (London)?

Thanks.
--
Andrew Gabriel