Posted to alt.home.repair

Default If it feeds 6 gph, how come it only uses 18 gpd

On Jan 29, 8:50*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
[just found this in the outbox-- better late than never]

mm wrote:

-snip-

Yes, when it was discussed last it sounded wonderful and I decided to
get one with my upcoming new furnace. * With the curved lines in the
picture, I didn't realize how thick it was (more than 10 inches),

Thick? * *Mine is mounted on the vertical side of the hot air plenum.
I would guess it is 6" thick or so maybe a foot square more or less.
My furnace is a low profile, which is designed for crawlspaces, but
I've got it up on blocks in the basement and it gave me plenty of room
to hook up existing ductwork. * [no A/C to mess with, thank you]

I just measured my 700A and it is 10" thick. It has to have room for
not only the media panel, but also the onboard fan that moves the
air, since it's not a bypass type.

I've only seen one of my neighbors' new furnaces, but it was arranged
just like the old ones are, and even though my basement ceiling is 8
feet like everyone else, somehow there is no place to mount the
Aprilaire or any of the fancy humidifiers. * *The flue is in the way
in the front, and the A-coil is in the way for more than a foot above
the 56" high furnace (the replacement might be 2 inches shorter, and
after that, I have to go look again where the other 28 inches go,
(Well, they duct goes at an angle, to avoid the I-beam that is above
the furnace, and that section is not tall enough for a fancy
humidifier.)

The A coil should not present a problem. The humidifier doesn't go
inside the plenum. All you need is enough room for clearance to be
able to cut out the opening without hitting the coils. MM is looking
at
a new furnace. He'll likely wind up with an A coil that comes inside
it's own plenum casing and mates up with the furnace. You just need
to look inside that and figure out where you have clearance to make
the cut before you put it together. The most logical spot for the
humidifier would be one side. As MM pointed out, the front is blocked
by the exhaust vent, intake, etc. I'd cut the opening before I
mounted
the coil assembly.

Also, I used the term A coil, but many of the newer AC's come with
an N shaped coil now. More surface area for efficiency. Same
things apply though.

I had to get creative when I installed the new furnace in order to
still use the existing cold air return with the furnace that I bought.
[I would have shopped for one that fit better-- but I found a new
furnace on Craigs list for $500.]

If you sit and stare at it for a few days something might come to you.
Or better yet- in the spring when your new furnace is here- tear
everything out back a few feet and re-routing of existing ductwork
might be the way to go.

Jim