Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default DTV sound synch

David Nebenzahl wrote in message
s.com...
Question is about DTV sound synchronization in the United States (the
only DTV I have any experience of). Seems to me that since it replaced
analog, the synchronization of sound to picture is, at best, variable,
and sometimes it's absolutely ****-poor.

Watching some programming, like a classical music performance where one
can see string players' bows moving, sometimes the sound is so far off
as to be quite irritating, seemingly as much as half a second or so.

I don't know enough about DTV to say why this would be so, and whether
the problem is with the station originating the broadcast or somewhere
else along the line. (I'm guessing this problem doesn't occur at the
receiver end.) Anyone else notice this?

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.

Even on , supposed, live feeds , often lack of sync in the UK
You mention classical music. I cannot listen to proper music on any of the
UK freeview channels because of some sort of overload distortion. This is
same on 2 makes of set-top box , is it just Rowridge, IoW, transmissions/
local multipath problem to me or do others find this issue in the UK? Is
there a name for this distortion ? full orchestra with the brakes on is fine
but go forte and clipping sort of compression distortion - if only they
still had test-cards with pilot tone these days, so I could scope.
And also related, no time signals these days, no seconds of time mentioned
anywhere on digital.