Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default P-trap slip joint still leaking

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 21:38:55 GMT, Red Green
wrote:

"Joe" wrote in
:

wrote in message
The slip joint where my PVC sink trap enters the copper drain stack
is STILL leaking.

I've been to the plumbing supply, Mom&Pop's Hardware, Ace, Home
Depot, and Lowes. NOBODY has heard of a "special" slip joint nut and
washer for a copper fitting.

They keep sending me home with exactly what I already have. New trap
parts, nuts and washers slow the leak to varying degrees, but never
stop it.

The water is CLEARLY coming out between the washer and the PVC trap
pipe.

Should I just slather some liquid pipe dope on the PVC, stuff it into
the copper, nut it up, and be done with it?

If that doesn't work I'm going to wrap it with Mighty Fix-it tape and
give up.

Are you sure the washer is the correct size? Seen b/4 where someone
complained about a problem. Here it was an 1-1/4" ptrap, going into a
1-1/2" drain, there is a special reducing washer for this
application. If you are positive you have the correct sizes, an
unorthodox way is to smear silicone and hand tighten.

What Joe is referring to:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_24745-143-91...Dwasher%2Bslip

Yes and note the sizes:

•Inlet: 1 1/2"
•Outlet: 1 1/4"

That explains why I grabbed a wrong size washer from my plumbing
stash.... the washer leaked even after changing one out. Silly me.