Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default tenant handyman rate

On Jan 28, 8:24*am, "dadiOH" wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On Jan 27, 2:43 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
woodchuck wrote:

My tenant and I are considering some projects that he would complete
-- laminate/tile kitchen flooring, countertops (Formica) and
fixtures.

In exchange for rent, what's a good hourly rate to consider?

What does he earn at his job? Pay at least that.

What does that have to do with it? *If the guy is unemployed do you
pay him nothing?

No, but he used to earn something.

If he's a male model and earns $1000/day do you
cough up the dough?

If he can earn $1000 a day he wouldn't be interested in doing handyman work.

My point is that what the tenant typically does for income has no
bearing whatsoever on figuring what to pay the guy. It's immaterial.

The only things to consider is whether the guy is qualified to do the
work and how much a pro would charge.

But he *isn't* a pro.

Yes, I understood that part. The question is - is there enough of
cost savings between the tenant doing the work vs. a pro doing it to
make the added risk and liability worth it.

The OP doesn't seem to realize that there is a much steeper downside
than the upside to the situation. *Say the guy gets hurt, damages
something in the house, damages materials he's installing and they
have to be replaced, etc., etc.

Agreed.

Okay, the motion carries.