Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Temporary/easy-to-put-up wall?

On 1/19/2011 4:44 PM, KD wrote:
Greetings:

We have a finished basement with pine floors, one fairly small bedroom
down there and a main room. There's a laundry room down there too, as
well as a two piece bathroom (sink/toilet).

We're looking at my mother coming to live with us later this year, the
idea is that Mom is going to mostly take over the basement. The
bedroom isn't going to be enough space for her, so we'd like for her
to be able to have a little sitting room down there too, in the main
room, but allow her privacy in there to watch TV, talk on the phone or
whatever without being interrupted by us as we go to the laundry room,
etc.

We aren't handy enough to build a wall ourselves. Is there anything
that is easy and fairly inexpensive to put up that could make a little
room down there? It doesn't need to be soundproof or anything, just a
separate space. The ceiling down there is, hmm, a dropped ceiling
maybe? It has tiles in the ceiling, behind them is the bare wood.

Thanks for any assistance!

KD

I put up a wall in a three car garage using hollow core doors. One
apartment was rented out and the other two were occupied by the
building's owners (my relatives), and they wanted to separate the
tenant's third of the garage.

I built a base (using 1"x 6" boards attached to the floor with L
brackets and concrete screws that the doors slid into, and from the
ceiling a built a similar thing with 1"x6" boards, though the attachment
was different as I had to find the floor supports (for the apartment
above) to attach the top slot to. I used 2" x 4" boards perpendicular to
the slot and found the studs. Didn't look great but it was in the garage.

Your project would be different, given the different floors and
ceilings, but basically you just find a way to build properly spaced
slots of the proper length, on the floor and ceiling, for hollow core
doors to slide into.