Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical questions

On Jan 28, 9:18*am, Limp Arbor wrote:
Recently finished upgrading to a 200A panel and replacing all the
wiring in the house. *Instead of Al entrance cable I used 2" conduit
to get from the meter to the panel and ran copper feeds to the panel.
The electric company replaced my old ham slicer meter with a digital
meter.

First, can I putty or caulk around the wires inside the conduit to
stop the cold air from coming in?

Second, my electric bill is up about 15% since I started. *The only
additional load I added was six 75watt bulbs on two dimmers that
replaced one 100watt table lamp, these run 16 hours a day. *Also three
hard-wired smoke detectors. *Are the digital meters more accurate? *Is
there a way I can test the meter?

I'm not sure about putting stuff inside conduit code wise so I'd opt
for simple. Wad up a bit of fiberglass insulation and stuff it in
the end.

When did you change over? How much of your heat system uses
electricity? All the meters should be pretty accurate. Does your new
meter allow the pwoer company to read it remotely? Did you look
closely at the bills to see if any of them are "estimated" rather than
based on actual readings? Few power companies read the meter every
single month.