Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] alan200@iinet.net.oz is offline

Default Building Permit to replace water heater? (residential owner occupied)

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 10:09:29 -0600, Sunworshipper SW@GWNTUNDRA
wrote:
My eldest son and I are building a new house with a separate
"grand-dad apartment" for me.

We have had nothing but bloody minded obstruction from the local
council.

First, we needed to remove 2 trees which were just outside the
building envelope, in which we can remove anything. The largest, 2
metres+ in diameter, was leaning at about a 15 - 20 degree angle, with
all branches over where we planned to build the shed/workshop. The
soil opposite the lean had been lifted 450mm higher than normal ground
level. Solid rock one metre down. The other was leaning at a
similar angle and would have been about a metre from one corner of the
house. Both trees were dangerous.

The council environmental idiot refused permission to remove them
on the grounds that the largest was a nesting place for black tailed
cockatoos. Crap ! We and our neighbours have not seen any btc
around here. Actually the one visible nest was a crows. Next he
claimed the trees were not dangerous but when questioned he admitted
that he had no qualifications to determine that. ( long pony tailed
hippie type, arts degree in crochet?) We said that if permission was
not granted then the council would be liable for any damage caused by
the trees. He backed down then but still took a month to send
written confirmation.

Then we could build the shed to store furniture while the house was
being built and I sold my house to pay for it.

The builder sent the plans in for approval in mid August,
aparrently in early October some creep decided that they needed a
rider on the title deeds to the effect that the apartment could not be
leased to a non family person. We were informed early December after
the builder asked why the plans were not yet approved. The councils
lawyers would alter the title, cost $600, and we finally received
approval just before Christmas. Building workers usually take annual
leave this time of year to avoid heat (43C today at 10am in the
shed). We have been told that site clearing should begin next
week.

We may move in at the end of July if we are lucky.

Alan