Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Snow Thrower Engine Backfires At Exhaust

On Jan 27, 7:46*pm, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:
wrote in message

.

Sea Foam costs about half that, and a bottle will treat that blower
carb 4 or 5 times, at least. And it's a whole lot less work.

Having tried a variety of alleged "carb and fuel injector cleaners"
and
haven taken apart carbs to clean them, I'm very skeptical that any
carb cleaner that you just mix in with gas is gonna cure a fouled carb
in an engine. Upon taking them apart you find varnish and gunk that
is difficult enough to remove with carb cleaner sprayed on full
strength
and rubbed with a brush. Plus, especially with today's gas, and
cheaper
carb parts, you often find needle valves that are rusted, etc.

With the carb rebuild kit you get the new needle valves, gaskets,
o-rings, etc. And doing the work is maybe an hour and a half.

Run some in the gas constantly and it won't go skunky, fouling the
carb

I have seen the Seafoam but not used any.. *I do put Stabil in the gas of
all the small engines now and that seems to help alot. *I have had to tear
into the carb on a 5 kw generator several times in the past when I did not
run it for several months in the past. *I think the added ethenol in the gas
is causing lots more problems also. *Seems that they can add about 5 % or so
with out even stating that at the pumps.

I agree. But I think it also depends on the particular carb. I've
had no
problems with my mower, blower, trimmer, etc. But for some reason
the Tecumseh snowblower engine can foul within just a couple months.

I don't have a snowblower as I am in the South, but do have a tiller, mower,
pressure washer and chain saws that are only used in the warmer months.
Well maybe not the saws.