Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Greenhouse repair

On Jan 28, 2:05*am, Chade wrote:
On Jan 28, 12:05 am, chris French
wrote:

In message
,
Chade writes

Hello, I've got a greenhouse to repair. I've got some old sheets of
horticultural glass but I'll need to cut it to shape. I've never had
much success on the few occasions I've tried cutting glass,

what's the problem?

Breaking with a spur rather than a clean break.

so I'd
thought I'd splash out on a new glass cutter. Any suggestions on which
is the best design for a cheapish cutter? Or good tips and tricks for
cutting glass?

I think the cheap glass cutters are probably all much of *a much ness..
The one I bought recently when I couldn't find my other one was a few
quid from a local hardware store, metal handle, wheel, cuts fine.

As well as the wheel pencil type cutters I've seen cheap diamond glass
cutters on ebay they seem to have a wedged shaped head rather than a
wheel.

Tips for cutting?

The most important, is to press firmly and steadily on the cutter, and
try to score in one smooth line. Stopping or gaps is where the glass
will fail to break cleanly.

Tap gently along the score line, put over an edge such a length of
timber, bench etc, press gently and should break cleanly.

But you may well have problems with old glass, as it tends to be more
problematical to cut.

If I had problems cutting it and seeing as horti glass is so cheap I'd
probably just go and get some from a glass merchants. Take measurements
and they will cut it to size for you (if not a standard size)

As well as oblong shapes I need a large irregular trapizoid shape more
than a meter across. I was going to make a pattern from selotaped
sheets of newspaper and then draw around it on the sheet with a glass
marker pencil and try to cut to the lines. Do you think a glass shop
would work from such a pattern? I suppose I could try to measure the
lengths of the sides and the angles at the corners instead if a glass
shop would work to that?

To measure a trapezoid, measure each side and one diagonal. This fixes
the shape as you have in effect two triangles.