Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Snow Thrower Engine Backfires At Exhaust

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 09:25:58 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Jan 27, 10:46Â*am, Hank wrote:
Sorry about the test post. I was having problems responding.

Anyway, in response to the OP:

Running it won't hurt it.

In older engines gunk builds up on the valve stem. When this happens,
the valve may either sticks open or close slower than normal,
therefore (in your case) allowing the engine to fire when the
"exhaust" valve is slightly open. If the valve were to stay open, it
wouldn't run. It could be a broken/weak spring, but unlikely. After it
warms up the stem gets a little oil and runs properly or at least
better. This is normal for gunk build up.

Using a lighter weight oil MAY help the problem. But to fix it, the
valves have to be removed and cleaned. "lapping" them in at this time
would be suggested also.

Hank ~~~~ having trouble posting

My first thought is this is another troll post, using one from the
past,
looking to get hits for a website. But assuming it's real, I'd say
the
most likely culprit is a fouled carb. Snowblowers are prime for this.
Left with gas sitting in them, etc. Over time, the carb gets fouled
up.
I don't know why, but of all my eqpt, my Sears snowblower with a
Tecumseh engine is most susceptible to this. I've let it sit with gas
for just a few months and had it foul.

Solution is to get a shop manual and a carb rebuild kit, which should
cost $12 or so. That gives you everything you need to take it apart,
clean it out, and reassemble. In a pinch, you can try it without
the
kit.

Sea Foam costs about half that, and a bottle will treat that blower
carb 4 or 5 times, at least. And it's a whole lot less work.

Run some in the gas constantly and it won't go skunky, fouling the
carb.