Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hardwood countertop

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
You miss my point. I was speaking to the idea expressed above my
comment, about the common forces of wood. And... yes I do know how
these items are attached. Look at all of the furniture in your house
and see how much of that is attached solidly, even in cross grain
situations. Yes - I do mean solid wood.

--

-Mike-

Nobody misses your point. We should just realize by now you are
hopeless in your denial.

You have no clue at all.

A 30" wide piece of wood is going to vary by more than 1/4" in width
over the span of a year in any environment with changing weather.

Go look at your dining room table or other furniture you may have. I have
more than one 30" glue up in my garage right now that were intended for
other purposes, and that are currently 4-5 years old, and do not exhibit
your proposed symptoms. Kindly explain that phenonenom. In fact - your
statement above is only true in a context, but in generality... untrue.

Maybe somewhere in mid-California you can be consistent enough this
won't happen.

And that has what to do with Central NY state? You - like many, quote
irrelevant distractions in attempt to pursuade others that you have some
unique knowledge.

When that wood changes size, it will break things if it
can't find some way to accommodate that expansion or contraction.

Again - something besides theoretical rhetoric. I gave you a real world
experience. Counter that in like terms. Look at the furniture in your
house before you reply.

have seen it as have millions of intelligent woodworkers over the
centuries.

I am not sure you have understood the conditions under which they speak.

--

-Mike-