Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hardwood countertop

You miss my point. *I was speaking to the idea expressed above my comment,
about the common forces of wood. *And... yes I do know how these items are
attached. *Look at all of the furniture in your house and see how much of
that is attached solidly, even in cross grain situations. *Yes - I do mean
solid wood.

--

-Mike-

Nobody misses your point. We should just realize by now you are
hopeless in your denial.

A 30" wide piece of wood is going to vary by more than 1/4" in width
over the span of a year in any environment with changing weather.
Maybe somewhere in mid-California you can be consistent enough this
won't happen. When that wood changes size, it will break things if it
can't find some way to accommodate that expansion or contraction. I
have seen it as have millions of intelligent woodworkers over the
centuries.