Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default NOVA show: Making Stuff Smaller

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 19:57:26 +0000 (UTC), James Waldby
wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 08:33:38 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 02:07:25 -0800, Rich Grise wrote:
Denis G. wrote:

This week?s NOVA is about micro-technology [...] second show of the
4-part ?Making Stuff? series (Stronger, Smaller, Cleaner and Smarter).

I was a lot more disappointed with that show than most people probably
were. Even more so than I expected to be.

The first show of the series, about stronger materials, was reasonably
good (and far above my expectations for it) although in many places
technical details were lacking that should have been included.
Stupid, flashing screen cuts and horrid, irritating background music
(which have been problems with many of the Nova Science Now programs)
were notably absent.

And when they got to the segment about silicon chips, after about the
third time the guy said, "siliKAHN" I wanted to strangle him.

Um, silicon is pronounced "silikahn" while silicone is pronounced
"silicone". Silicon (chips) is elemental while silicone (rubber stuff)
is a manmade compound. Pronunciation differs. Whassamattayou?

Perhaps he wants them to say it like "silikun", ie, have the last
syllable rhyme with gun rather than gone. Ie, "...cone" not an issue.

I guess it could be. I'm always gritting my teeth when someone says
"Hand me the silicon caulk." or that so-and-so is made with "silicone
chips". I'm less sensitive to "kun" vs "kahn", myself.

--
Ask not what the world needs. Ask what makes you come
alive... then go do it. Because what the world needs