Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
Jim Thompson[_3_] Jim Thompson[_3_] is offline

Default Music Servers

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 13:42:35 -0600, flipper wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 10:34:50 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 03:38:40 +0000, Fred wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote in
:

Does there exist an apparatus that I could connect the audio output of
my FM tuner, assign an IP address, and distribute throughout my PC
network?

...Jim Thompson

http://corp.orb.com/

Been using Orb for years to send TV/audio/video to troops in the field in
Iraq and Afghanistan.....right from their living room back home.

Works great....

Just plug your tuner into an old computer's sound card.

Thanks! I'll check into that.

...Jim Thompson

Did you not see the other two similar 'PC' solutions?

Microsoft Expressions 4 encoder (XP, Vista, Seven) is probably the
'easiest' for popping a tuner on the sound card and broadcasting it
out as you simply select 'live input', pick the sound card source,
"cue," tick streaming-broadcast, and hit 'start'.

Winamp is a bit more complex (separate server, manually editing a
config file, etc) but if you also want to stream local files I think
it's media browser makes that simpler than Expressions because you can
select directories and playlists vs 'files'. (Expressions seems more
geared to broadcasting a 'prepared presentation'.)

One of the things I like about both of those, though, is neither
requires 'signing in' to anything (although Winamp allows you to sign
up to their shoutcast radio list if you'd like to be a public
'Internet radio station').

Btw, I notice the same 'delay' before sound issueth forth on the
receiving end with Expressions as I did with Winamp.

Thanks for the info!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |