Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hardwood countertop

dadiOH wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Jim Weisgram wrote:

Yes but the maple will expand and contract with changing humidity
and the particle board underneath won't. The force involved is very
large. The maple will tear the screws out of position. If glued to
the particle board, the maple will break the glue bond.

I keep reading about all of this wood movement and how radical it is
with the changing seasons and all, but I have to say - this has not
been my experience. At least - not to this level. I've got plenty
of things that have been glued, screwed, nailed, and spit on over the
years, that have held together just well. No extreem movement over
the seasons, no splitting, no angry reactions. To listen to a lot of
what's posted here one has to wonder just how any piece of furniture
has survived over the years. Methinks this notion of wood movement
has taken on a set of legs of its own.

Got a table - any table - with a solid top? Turn it over and see how
the top is attached to the aprons and ask yourself why it is done
that way.

You miss my point. I was speaking to the idea expressed above my comment,
about the common forces of wood. And... yes I do know how these items are
attached. Look at all of the furniture in your house and see how much of
that is attached solidly, even in cross grain situations. Yes - I do mean
solid wood.

--

-Mike-