Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Compact Fluorescent Lamps Burn Out Faster Than Expected, Limiting Energy Savings in California's Efficiency Program

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 22:48:57 +0000 (UTC), (Don
Klipstein) wrote:

In ,
wrote:
On 25 Jan '11 22:20:13 0 UTC,
(Don Klipstein) wrote:

My experience is on average around 4,000 hours. This includes ones that
get some extra heating by being in an enclosed fixture. (I only use 13
watt ones there to keep the extra heating down.)

You are getting almost 4 times my (average)cfl lifespan. And I'm
using the bulbs made for the specific use (in this case PAR type
reflector floods in pot-lights)

Pot lights are heat hellholes. CFLs easily overheat in those. Try a
different brand, a brand overtly rated in writing for such use, one with a
specific and high maximum ambient temperature rating, or a lower wattage.

One thing commercial buildings often have for recessed ceiling
fixtures with CFLs: Fixtures with separate ballasts, and the fixtures
take ballastless pin-base CFLs, often 13W twintube or 26W doubletwintube.

NOTE - 13W twintube and 26W doubletwintube usually come in 2-pin form
with built-in glow switch starters. These CFLs suffer more wear from
starting than others.

I'm currently running the third "brand" of PAR type cfl - and all PAR
type bulbs are supposed to be made for this same type of service.
It says on the bulb "not for use with dimmers or in totally enclosed
recessed fixtures"

These are not totally enclosed - and if the slowness in lighting is
due to "warm-up" these things should light FASTER, not slower.