Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner[_3_] Steve Turner[_3_] is offline

Default Hardwood countertop

Compensate
for the boards' tendency to shrink more at the ends
by cutting the joints ever so slightly concave, or
"sprung."

Hmmmm first time I have heard a plausible reason for the sprung joint
(greater shrinkage at the ends). Till now I always thought it was such
crap. Adding tension across the entire joint just never made sense.
Even so, I am still not convinced that having tension across the whole
joint forever, is better than letting glue try to hold the end of a
joint together when it dries out.

With today's modern glues the joint probably *would* hold together, but it
wouldn't surprise me if the wood split as some other location while it was
drying out.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.