Posted to rec.woodworking
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Hardwood countertop

mkr5000 wrote:
I see a lot of "butcher block" countertops, no doubt made of edge
glued 2 x 2 's ? -- but why can't you make a top from 1 by material as
well?

Like perhaps edge glued 1 x 8 maple, 4 boards across for the depth. 28
to 30" or so.

I suppose that making a 1 1/2" maple edge and then reinforcing the
bottom with 3/4" particle board would be the way to go -- just like
the old fashioned laminate tops.

Why not?

I haven't seen any in doing a google search -- just the butcher block
style.

If you're merely after the butcher-block "look," you might try maple (etc.)
manufactured laminate flooring.

You'll need a router to get the edges to match and some glue.

I did that with a bunch of left-over el cheapo material over a year ago. It
looks nice and works well. I figured if the stuff was designed to withstand
dirt, mud, abrasion, water, and golf shoes, it would cover the funky-looking
60's Formica quite well.

It did.