Posted to alt.home.repair
RogerT RogerT is offline

Default Basement bathrooms -- upflush/Saniflo systems

Pete C. wrote:
RogerT wrote:

I am putting a full bath in a basement level apartment. The
basement has a concrete floor, and center line of the horizontal
4-inch PVC sewer line that runs out to the street is about 8 inches
above the concrete floor.

One of the approaches I am thinking of using is something like the
following Saniflo upflush system:

http://www.saniflo.com/SANIPLUS.aspx .

The washer/dryer and the sink are no problem because the drains for
those two are above the existing horizontal sewer line, so those
drains can be connected directly to the sewer line. That leaves the
full bathtub and the toilet.

If I use the Saniflo system shown above, the drain from the tub will
have to tie into the bottom of the Saniflo device. I think that
will mean that the tub will have to be placed on a raised platform
-- maybe 3 inches or so -- to enable the tub to have a trap and to
drain into the bottom of the Saniflo.

But, one question I have about this type of Saniflo is how can the
drain go directly into the side of the Saniflo tank at the bottom of
the tank? Can it pump out the water down to a depth inside the tank
of just a 1/2 inch to 1 inch?

Also, would another option for the toilet be to get one that flushes
out the back (like the one shown in the link above) but have it
flush directly into the drain? That way, the pump system wouldn't
have to grind and pump toilet sewage. Meanwhile, the pump system
could then just be used to pump the water draining from the tub and
not toilet sewage.

Any thoughts, suggestions or experiences regarding these options
would be appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. I could break out the concrete basement floor fairly easily
and put a below-grade pumping system in if such a system exists, and
if that would be a better approach.

Your p.s. is the best solution. Such pump systems do indeed exist and
installation is pretty easy. These systems allow you to use normal
fixtures, not need raised platforms, and use normal gravity drains
into the below grade pump chamber. You will need to cut out a section
of the floor and dig down enough to install the tank with it's access
cover flush with the floor, and you will need to trench the pump
output, vent and electrical.

Thanks Pete C. and all others for your suggestions.

The more I look into all of this, the more complicated it seems to be
getting.

For those who may be interest, here are some links that I found so far while
trying to research the various options:

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infplumb/infupf.html

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/sewage.html

http://www.franklin-electric.com/was...astewater.aspx

http://www.libertypumps.com/Products...p=69&s=26&c=19

http://libertypumps.logicalsolutions...px?VideoId=550

The last link is a video of one of the submersible grinding types of sewage
pumps.

Since this will be a rented out apartment, I am concerned about maintenance
issues with tenants flushing the wrong things down the toilet. That may
just be something I will have to live with and deal with. However, if I can
figure a way to have the toilet flush directly into the existing sewer lines
(by elevating the toilet and using a rear outlet toilet), then maybe all
that I would need to have drain into a sump-type sewer system would be the
tub.