Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Short measure at propane tank exchange stations

On 1/26/2011 8:57 AM, SMS wrote:
On 1/25/2011 8:10 PM, Robert Neville wrote:
"Ed wrote:

After not having to read the sign for the past 50 years, it is a
sleazy way
of raising the price. Yes, it may be legal, it may be show on the label,
but I don't read the sticker on a dozen eggs either. It has always been
that way.

Right. Just like 16oz bags of potato chips, two pound cans of coffee
and 1/2
gallon tubs of ice cream.

It's a little different there. The 1.5 quart ice cream cartons and 26
ounce cans of coffee are physically smaller than they were when they
were 1/2 gallon and 2 pounds respectively. Also, at least with the
Breyer's ice cream I usually buy, the price has come down. I used to pay
around $3.50 on sale for 1/2 gallon, now it's often on sale for $2.50.
Even the regular price came down a little. I never buy canned coffee so
I can't comment, but I do notice that 3 pound bags of good beans at
Costco cost less per pound than poor quality canned coffee at the
supermarket.

Still sleazy. People are accustomed to buying certain things. If they
need to raise the price on the 2 lb container or 16 oz bag or whatever
then do it. Don't be sleazy about it and package it in a smaller size.

With propane, before the gas companies started putting up signs
explaining the short weight, you really didn't have any indication of
the weight until you got the tank brought to you from the locked cage or
from where-ever they kept them, and even then it wasn't prominently
displayed. Since the tank size was the same as before, there was little
reason to think that they'd be short-filled.