Posted to alt.architecture,alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Warm Worm Warm Worm is offline

Default Playing the Building by David Byrne

On Jan 24, 7:52*pm, RicodJour wrote:
Just ran across this and wanted to share it.

From Wikipedia's article on David Byrne:
In 2008, Byrne and his production team programmed the Battery Maritime
Building, a 99-year-old ferry terminal in Manhattan, to play music.
Essentially Byrne took the old New York City building, hooked the
entire structure - pipes, heaters, pillars and all, electronically to
an old pipe organ, and made a playable musical instrument of it, for a
piece called "Playing the Building".

How cool is THAT?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gea9SYUdJeY

It's pretty cool the way he has it set up, although he could always
get the band to do a live performance with the audience in the middle
of the room.

I may have mentioned on here quite a long time ago something about the
idea of a band that moves around the room and the audience, maybe on
foot or even on some kind of film "dolly-track", so that the music
fluctuates and shifts in experience over time...

I bang on bus-stop windows and parts thereof sometimes when I get
bored waiting for the bus. Large glass windows can have a nice bass
sound when you bump them in the middle with the side of your fist, and
the metal components can sound nice (metallic snare when coupled with
the window's bass) when flicked with a finger-nail.

Someone mentioned Frank Zappa, and there's a bit of him on tv "playing
a bike", which I've also done when I once happened upon Montreal's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzJYYdLPLuU
The vid says 2007 and the time I was there was around the early 90's,
so they're still keeping up the tradition.

Zappa:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izDvYokFU7U