Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Short measure at propane tank exchange stations

On 1/25/2011 12:43 PM, Hell Toupee wrote:
While waiting for my wife outside a store yesterday, I passed the time
by reading the information on the "Blue Rhino" propane tank exchange
setup. No surprises until I got to the bottom and discovered that the
"Full" tanks contain only 15lb of propane. I thought that the
"regular" small propane tanks held 20lb.

How many people are thinking that they are getting 20lb (as they would
if they took their own tanks to a refilling station) for a good price
but getting only 15lb?

There's a class-action lawsuit against them over this issue. AmeriGas
recently settled a class-action lawsuit over a similar claim:

snip

The tank exchanges are for people that are either lazy or clueless. You
can take your tank to a gas station that sells propane and get a full
tank for the same, or a lower, price than the tank exchanges. You also
get to give your $ to a local business rather than to Home Depot or
Wal-Mart, or Walgreen's.

The reason there are now signs at the tank exchange places explicitly
stating that the tanks are not filled all the way, is because of the
class action. Prior to that, they were marking on the tanks that they
were not filled to capacity, but they were not really making it clear
before you actually got your new tank.