Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob[_44_] Bob[_44_] is offline

Default Copper Water Pipe Question ? And, Insur. Coverage ?

Hello,

Would be most grateful for any opinions on this.
Would like to get your opinions prior to calling Insur. Agent.

Read my Homeowners policy, but truly hard to understand.

I had a household water pipe apparently "eaten" away by whatever
is in the water over the last 30 years or so. Tempted to call it
corrosion, but this might not be the right word.

A little disconcerting about what the water was/is eating away in me,
but that's another matter I guess.

Anyway, a leak developed.
House was apparently plumbed with the thinner wall Copper water pipe.

Had to have a Plumber, and also a Plasterer, and a new paint job for the
damaged ceiling.

Would like to know a bit more re if this kind of damage is covered by
the typical Homeowners Policy before contacting the insurance agent.

Or, is coverage (usually) only for a sudden, catastrophic happening, and
this "over-time" damage would likely be excluded ?

Any caveats to your opinion ?

**How "common" are these pinhole size leaks ?
Are the problems mainly in the thin wall Type M tubing, or
happens in any of the other wall sizes also, as the K and L
thicknesses ?
What is thought to cause, etc. ?
Is it mainly a defect in the pipe, or external causes ?

And,

Is Type M Copper pipe, the thin wall stuff, for internal water house use
utilized anymore for new construction ? Where ?

Still Legal ?

Much thanks,
Bob