Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy[_4_] Michael Kennedy[_4_] is offline

Default Two phases or not?

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

Well, it really shouldn't be like that. I mean, look, we're discussing a
well-known, measurable phenomenon. The output of the center-tapped
transformer can be demonstrated to supply two separate and distinct
phases. Hell, hook up two 'scopes and see what they show.

It's just that the 'lectric-heads--the lunks who install distribution
panels and such--won't let us *call* it "2-phase" for several dubious
reasons. Doesn't change the fact that it IS two-phase power. That's what
I'm getting at. I'm not trying to force anyone to change their
terminology or give up their superstitious beliefs; I know that that's
futile.

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
You're free to call it whatever you like.. and everyone that hears you
call single-phase items 2-phase instead, is free to find humor in it, or
suspect that you're uninformed, or lesser of you (without giving you any
indications).
Kinda like referring to an item with a perfectly practical/widely familar
name "a thingy", or a (something) thingy.

Superstitious would be applicable in the early years of the last century
when folks actually believed that distributed electricity was "fire on a
wire".
It was a mysterious power to be feared by many folks in backwoods/mountain
places in Appalachia for a significant portion of last century, and that
same term can be heard in documentary films of that area of the country.

Think what you like, but if you present yourself as being wiser or more
reasonable wrt the subject, it's essentially just trolling.. and since you
study proper usenet protocol, you know that's the equivalent to numerous
simultaneously performed deadly sins.

It's likely no one gives a FRA what you prefer to call single-phase,
however, many usenet folks will likely continue to attempt to correct you
at your use of the term 2-phase, primarily because it's not applicable to
the subject matter.. and just because 2-phase power is essentially
non-existent.

As I suggested in my first reply in this thread.. essentially debated to
hell'n back, and still, there are still those defending the use of the
term 2-phase.

--
Cheers,
WB

Oh I completely agree that the terminology is split phase and or center
tapped.. Just after reading all of this I am trying to rationalize why there
is so much debate.. I mean they are different phases 180deg apart. That is
measurable. I just cant understand why some refuse the fact that they are 2
different phases, i.e. "split-phase" as the name implies. This fits the
definiton of a different phase of power. Im not trying to change any
terminology in the process here.

Mike