Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Mill Vise Hold Downs

Bob La Londe wrote:
Seems simple... How do you think It will work out?

http://www.instructables.com/image/F...The-design.jpg

or here if the picture won't show by itself.

http://www.instructables.com/id/maki...lling-machine/

Obviously adjust the dimensions to match your application. Is there
something better that might make it easier to square and repeat
alignment upon removal and remounting of the vise? The only think I
can think of is to mount an alignment bar on the bottom of the vise
that will drop in the table t-slots.

That looks very like what came with my Gerardi modular vice but they
don't have the radii your images shows, also the Gerardi ones are
thicker in the T slot area and the tip is thinned to fit the slot in the
side of the vice. The Gerardi came with a slot in the bottom and keys
for the purpose of alignment in the T slots. The vice it replaced had
dowel pins in the underside for alignment to the edge of the T slots. I
was taught that the T slot can be used for this purpose and on good
machines are accurately ground parallel to the movement. Many tools such
as the Suburban tool spin indexer have the base ground so that it can be
place against a bar set into the T slot for quick alignment, I had to do
the base machining myself to allow that on my cheap Chinese knock-off
spin indexer.