Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Using my dumb question for the month coupon ............

On Jan 24, 4:50*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I just blew through a box of .22 shells attempting to get my scope sighted
in. *It went all over. *I was at 30 yards. *Scope is tight, and no apparent
damage.

When sighting in a scope, does one aim at the bullseye, then adjust the
scope point towards the center. *IOW, I aim at the bullseye and hit high
right. *Do I adjust the screws DOWN and LEFT, or do I adjust UP and RIGHT?
Towards the strike point, or towards the bullseye?

I know this is a simple matter, but right now I'm stymied, and don't want to
waste another box.

Steve

Not dumb. The scopes I have usually have an arrow with RIght and Up
on the knobs. To make the group move to the right, you spin it in the
direction of the arrow. for up, ditto. Sight-in targets are usually
crosses, I make them with a Sanford Magnum marker on the backs of
printer trash. So you put the crosshairs on the target's cross, then
move the group the direction you need to. Saves going through the
mental convolutions of what the scope is doing internally vs what's
happening with the bullets. If you got the scope new, there's usually
installation and sight-in directions in the box.

A laser bore sighter helps a lot with new scope installs, one like
this:
http://www.laserlyte.com/Laser_Bore_...S-1/MBS-1.html
I've gotten these on sale from the likes of Natchez Shooter's Supply
for less than half retail, wally world has had a stripped-down version
at times, too. Just spin the knobs on the scope to match the laser's
dot with the crosshairs at 30-40 yards or so. Get you very close,
usually not perfectly on, though.

From the sounds of it, you may need to get some better ammo. If you
still are all over the paper after a box of CCI standard velocity or
Mini Mags, then you've got a problem with the gun or scope. That
assumes you're shooting off a solid rest, not off-hand. One problem
that's seldom mentioned is the parallax setting of the scope. If it's
not a dedicated .22 or airgun scope, it's probably set for 100 yards
and you can get problems with parallax at shorter ranges. Means
larger groups if you aren't getting your head in the same spot all the
time. Some scopes have a parallax adjustment for range, most don't.

Stan