Posted to alt.home.repair

Default leaking p-trap joint

On Jan 25, 11:41*am, wrote:
On Jan 24, 7:11*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:

Oren wrote:
On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 17:28:38 -0500, wrote:

The "fernco" is also an option, of course, but it will
alwoys look like a "band-aid" solution.

Would something like this replace the band-aid look?

pic:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/400/d7/d74cb048-d70f-4....

Hi,
I wonder if the pipe joint(s) are stressed due to something moved or
moving, If this the case it';; spring a leak again. Try to find why
it is leaking.

Thanks guys, but my problem isn't with the trap itself.

It's where the trap enters the drain stack in the wall.

The leg of the P-trap enters the copper drain stack through a tee
fitting. A compression nut threads on the copper tee fitting to seal
the two together.

Originally, I had this sealed with the vinyl washer and plastic nut
threaded on to the copper tee. Leaked a steady stream, no matter how
tight I made it.

The metal nut with soft rubber washer is better, but it still drips.- Hide quoted text -

If I understand you the plastic pipe goes inside the copper and the
rubber is being compressed into the copper and against the plastic
pipe? I would install just that joint and test how firm that rubber
washer is being compressed by trying to pull on the plastic piece.

If it pulls out easily then the rubber is not beeing compressed enough
and you could try to find something to put behind the rubber so that
it gets compressed further.

If it is hard to pull out then surface irregularities may be your
problem. Make sure the copper is smooth and clean where the rubber
goes up against it. Same for the plastic.

As a last resort you could coat the rubber washer with some pipe dope
before installing. Let it sit a day before trying.