Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Building Permit to replace water heater? (residentialowneroccupied)

Jim Stewart wrote:

Paul K. Dickman wrote:

First, if they will let you do the work but want it permitted and inspected,
quit whining. Around here I need a licensed contractor to scratch my
testicles.

Second, the water heater is the single most dangerous 4&#king thing you have
in your house. Not only do you have the danger of either, fuel gas and
carbon monoxide, or electricity and water, but the water heater is a self
firing pressure vessel. The only thing that keeps it from being a bomb is a
$25 thermostat and a relief valve set at 150psi. Poor plumbing practices can
negate either of those. If you don't believe me, look up the mythbusters
"water heater rocket" episode.

Third, it is a fallacy to believe that it is only a danger to you. Unless
you intend to have your funeral pyre set in the living room, your work will
risk the next owner.

My building turned 100 in 2009. It must have had half a dozen people who
thought their work was only a risk to them.
Half the outlets were fed by lampcord pushed under the baseboard. Floor
joists were sawn 3/4 of the way through to put pipe through. Gas light
fittings weren't capped off. And the replacement service entrance wire was
wirenutted to the old wire in a pulling elbow two feet from the fuse box.

Damn good points Paul.

I go with a scorched earth policy, when I'm gone, so is everything I
built (no heirs).