Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Two phases or not?

On 1/24/2011 7:40 PM Michael Kennedy spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...

I'm posting this to try to settle an argument going on in another
newsgroup (alt.home.repair) about phases in electrical power.

SNIP And you have started another arguement here. haha..

Honestly this is a question that I have always had, and can't understand why
it isnt called 2 phase. Unless there is something to the picture I am
unaware of.

This qustion will enevetably be debated to the end of time. It is kind of
like discussing poloitcs or religion..

Well, it really shouldn't be like that. I mean, look, we're discussing a
well-known, measurable phenomenon. The output of the center-tapped
transformer can be demonstrated to supply two separate and distinct
phases. Hell, hook up two 'scopes and see what they show.

It's just that the 'lectric-heads--the lunks who install distribution
panels and such--won't let us *call* it "2-phase" for several dubious
reasons. Doesn't change the fact that it IS two-phase power. That's what
I'm getting at. I'm not trying to force anyone to change their
terminology or give up their superstitious beliefs; I know that that's
futile.

who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.