Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default ESR meter built in seconds

"Jeff Liebermann is a total IMBECILE "

If you have 1 volt of output swing, and an assumed function generator
output impedance of 50 ohms, the short circuit current will be about
20ma. Shove that into a 0.5 ohm electrolytic cazapitor, and you'll
measure maybe 10mv across the cazapitor. That's kinda hard to see.

** What kind of POS scope do you have ???

10mV rms = 28.3 mV p-p.

Read what I wrote again. I said "1 volt of output swing" which means
1 volt peak to peak.

** I see: "10mv across ...."

Which is what my comments are obviously about.

So you lose this one.

Also, all the ESR test circuits I've seen use a square wave,

** My ESR test idea uses a sine wave.

So you lose this one too.

My scope goes down to 5mV per division - then has a 5X mag switch if
needed.

Mine goes down to 2mv/div.

** Then 10mV rms is easy to see and measure.

So you lose this one also.

I think the X5 or whatever magnification on your unspecified model
scope usually refers to the horizontal sweep, not the vertical gain.

** Think again - Mr bull****artist.

Of
course you could supply more than 1 volt but then you will have some
problems trying to use this technique without removing the cazapitor
from the PCB.

** Utter ******** !!!

As your own example proves.

How so?

** Cos the residual voltage on the cap under test is only 10 mV !!!!!!!!!!!

So you lose another one.

Are you DRUNK ????

** Just set it to max and that's it for ESR testing.

Lets just say I don't like running my test equipment flat out into an
AC short circuit (the cap under test).

** Yawnnnnnnnn........

Let me just say that you are clearly a total ****wit.

If you look carefully at the schematics supplied below, most of them
put a known series resistance at the output of the generator section
to the cazapitor. You could do the same thing with the function
generator. 100 ohms in series with an alleged 50 ohms will not
magically make the method more accurate, but it will reduce the error
to a tolerable level.

** More ********.

The vast majority of electros have less than 1 ohm ESR values - so any
error in the calculated drive current is TINY in comparison to a 50 ohm
source.

True, except that the variation between what's considered a good and a
bad electrolytic is sufficiently small that source impedance makes a
difference.

** Absolute NONSENSE !!

Another lose for you.

Are you DRUNK ???

The variation in ESR values between new electros of the same type is far
more.

Huh?

** Yes.

Maker's specs say the sample to sample variation is way more than 2%.

You ridiculous, bull****ting ****head.

...... Phil