Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RosemontCrest RosemontCrest is offline

Default Using my dumb question for the month coupon ............

On Jan 24, 4:35*pm, Ignoramus21198 ignoramus21...@NOSPAM.
On 2011-01-24, Steve B wrote:

I just blew through a box of .22 shells attempting to get my scope sighted
in. *It went all over. *I was at 30 yards. *Scope is tight, and no apparent
damage.

When sighting in a scope, does one aim at the bullseye, then adjust the
scope point towards the center. *IOW, I aim at the bullseye and hit high
right. *Do I adjust the screws DOWN and LEFT, or do I adjust UP and RIGHT?
Towards the strike point, or towards the bullseye?

I know this is a simple matter, but right now I'm stymied, and don't want to
waste another box.

I would, first, suggest that you stay at the same distance and keep
the scope aimed at one particular point. Note how widely the impact
points are dispersed (even if they do not hit where you aimed). This
would tell you how accurate is your rifle and scope combination.

[pet peeve]

The size or dispersion of the group suggests how _repeatable_ are the
rifle and shooter. _Accuracy_ is determined by how close the mean
point of impact is to the point of aim. I can shoot a five-shot group
so repeatably and with such precision that it leaves one ragged hole
10" away from the point of aim; it's very repeatable but entirely
inaccurate. Accuracy and repeatability are two completely different
animals.

[/pet peeve]