Posted to uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts[_2_] David WE Roberts[_2_] is offline

Default Electrical safety and camping - NZ way logical?

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
snip

So what does the team think?
Better to have the RCD as far up the cable as possible or fine to have it
in the tent?

As we are on the road haven't been back here for a while.

Thanks for all the reasonably on-topic responses - diesel injection
technology on recent European cars has no relevance to our NZ holiday :-)

First, the tent:
http://freedomcamping.co.nz/product/tents/canvas-tents/millbrook
Very large and impressive as it is our home for 4 months.

To answer some points:

Caravans - very different in NZ and very expensive compared to the UK.
Potential large loss between buying and selling. The caravans are designed
to go off-road and are built like tanks but seem to have domestic fridges
and cookers strapped to the walls instead of the caravan-specific stuff
found in the UK, and virtually nothing else. No home comforts.

Comparison to lawn mower - RCD for lawn mower should be under cover. My
issue is having the RCD out in the ****ing rain. Understood that it is
better to protect close to the source but the exposure to rain seems a down
side.

WOF - PP's argument that the testing may not be good follows the old
arguments about making seat belts compulsory - not everyone will wear them
etc. If the testing picks up only 30% of dodgy systems then this is an
improvement. No doubt some think that MOT tests are a waste of time as well.
Similar arguments apply.

Electricity - well, this is our home for 4 months not a quick doss at the
weekend. So we need the computer (hey - I'm using it now) plus lights, fan
heater, various chargers. We could manage without but why struggle?

If we had a trailer we could do things the Kiwi way and carry a full size
fridge, a large BBQ, etc. but we manage without by filling the back of the
car up to the level of the front seat headrests. O.K. for 2, but not for
more. Also, trailers are hugely expensive because they are built like tanks
to go off-road.

Still got another month or so to go, then Hawaii and the West Coast of the
US.

Cheers

Dave R